Monday, November 22, 2010

No. 2: Ruby Rag Doll - Completion!

Funny story...I was winding a new bobbin for this project and then suddenly, out of nowhere, I ran out of thread. Yes, I ran out of black thread...even though I was under the impression that the spool was unused.
Normally I wouldn't care too much and kind of keep going in a different thread, figuring that no one would ever know the difference anyway. But that wont work on a project where there are copious amounts of cosmetic stitching that require black thread.
So a little bit of a speed bump there...but I pilfered a new spool of thread from my parents' house when I was there this weekend and was quickly back in business. And subsequently, I finished the dress yesterday on my first day off in thirteen days.

So...here's the concept:



And here's how it turned out:






Pretty good for completely disregarding all laws of cutting and bias. And I think that all the cosmetic stitching will actually help stabilize the brocade so it doesn't combust in a spray of sparkling fibers. The zipper didn't go in as neatly as I would have liked, and the cosmetic stitching could be better. That's something to work on: precision. I'd like to take her out and do a real shoot with her to heighten the glory a bit and gussy the portfolio, but until I get that figured out we're going to have to make do with me awkwardly posing with a camera in the mirror.

The base material finally arrived for the next dress project, but that might have to be put on hold as I need to come up with something suitable to wear to a wedding. Meaning not too flashy. My mother has no faith in this endeavor (and rolled her eyes overly dramatically when she heard the the words "Sally" and "Nightmare Before Christmas" in the description of this latest work), and I'm out to prove her absolutely wrong.

2 comments:

  1. @needlesandbread

    I'm bringing it home with me for Thanksgiving so I can get better pictures of it. Because every time I look at the pictures I have of it I cringe a little bit. Anyway...we'll see what she says about this one then. And I just ordered the fabric for the dress for the wedding...so there's no going back now.

    ReplyDelete