Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dress #1: Lady Gaga Goes To Prom

My sister is a self-described 'fashionista,' which makes it incredibly difficult to buy clothing for her, as in her case 'fashionista' is synonymous with 'extremely picky.' Dressing to impress is her way of life. Our personal styles tend towards being polar opposites. She's into gold, I prefer silver. Her motif is cheetah print, I'm a skull enthusiast. Etc.
Last year I put together a tea dress for her from a Simplicity pattern. She picked out a mustard-gold fabric with small pink roses and lavender sprigs decorating it...not my first choice, but the dress looked surprisingly good in the end, especially with the peeping tulle about the hem and the raspberry ribbon shoulder straps. (I believe she ended up ripping out the thin ribbon line I put about the waist, complete with a modest bow decoration that took HOURS to pin together correctly, but that's beside the point.) She ended up wearing the dress to a croquet party with a bunch of her friends and received many compliments...especially when it was revealed that it was a homemade endeavor.
Now, the junior prom will soon be upon us...and because that last dress was so successful, my sister has decided to give me another try. The pressure is on this time around since a) a prom dress is a bit more tricky than a tea dress and b) she's already told everyone that her dress is going to be nothing short of amazing.

The requirements for this dress are as follows:
1. It has to be nothing short of 'cool.'
2. It should evoke Lady Gaga.
3. It cannot look homemade.
4. It must be able to withstand vigorous dancing.

...and so it begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment